How To Apply Makeup For Your Face Shape
Posted on March 11 2019
We all have different facial features and with that comes a lot of experimentation with makeup to find out what works best for you. The point of wearing makeup isn’t to cover up, but enhance, your features. Have fun with it and remember, there are no rules. Byrdie spoke with several Sephora Pro makeup artists for their expertise on how to apply makeup according to certain face shapes.
Oval Face Shape
- Apply your favorite matte- or satin-finish bronzer, starting at the temples, working your way down towards the center of the face
- Using the same brush, apply a light touch of blush over the apples of the cheeks for an airbrushed finish
- Apply highlighter to the high points of the face: temples, brow bone, bridge of the nose,cupid’s bow, and chin
Oblong Face Shape
- Apply blush to the apples of the cheeks, blending it out
- Apply bronzer around the hairline at the top of the forehead, along the bottom of the cheekbones, under the chin, and across the bridge of the nose
- Highlight the top of the cheekbones, blending towards the temples, on the brow bone, the tip of the nose, and Cupid’s bow. Avoid highlighting the forehead and chin, which adds height
Heart Face Shape
- Highlight the bridge of the nose, high points on the cheeks, underneath brow bone, on the jawline, Cupid’s bow, and chin
- Apply bronzer or contour on top of the forehead blending down towards the temples and underneath the cheekbones
- Apply blush one to two fingers away from the nose, sweep across the top of the apples of cheeks towards the ear, and blend down to prevent it from a striped appearance
Round Face Shape
- Highlight the bridge of the nose, center of the forehead, high points on the cheeks, underneath brow bone, on the Cupid’s bow and chin.
- Bronze or contour the entire parameter of the face and under the cheekbones
- Apply blush one to two fingers away from the nose, sweep across the apples of the cheek toward the ear, and blend down to prevent a striped appearance.
Square Face Shape
- Apply contour on the temples and jaw area. When applying contour to the jawline, use a fluffy brush and brush upward for a natural look
- Apply blush to the cheeks and bronzer in the hollows of the cheeks
- Finish by applying highlighter in a “C” shape around high points of cheeks and temples